Please note that from 6 November to 22 December 2017 the Library will be closed to visitors each Wednesday and from 1-2pm each weekday. During this time the Library team will still be responding to telephone and email enquiries during the times that the Library is closed. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause to members.
Library opening times
The current library opening hours are:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday: 9.30am - 1.00pm / 2.00pm - 5.00pm
Wednesdays - library closed.
If you are travelling from a distance to visit the library, it is recommended that you call first just to double check that the Library is open at the time you are likely to arrive.
Library services and resources for RCOT members
Our friendly and approachable team of information specialists is available to help when you visit, or telephone or email the Library. RCOT members have access to key library services and resources, to help support evidence-informed practice, service delivery, education, research and CPD and these are outlined in the library leaflets below:
Visiting the library
We welcome visitors and enquiries from all members of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists. Please bring your membership card when you visit the Library. Please help us by quoting your membership number n emails and phone calls. Occupational therapists and OT students who are not members of BAOT/RCOT need to join the BAOT before using the Library. The Membership Team can facilitate joining for prospective members visiting the RCOT. Non-members who are not occupational therapists, but have an interest in occupational therapy, are welcome to visit the Library by appointment and on payment of a £10 access charge. There are occasions in the year when the Library has to close temporarily. We always try to give prior notice on the RCOT website. If you are travelling from a distance – please check the website and/or telephone to confirm that the Library is open at the time of your planned visit.
Library services for members with disabilities
The Library provides enhanced access to members with disabilities, including Jaws software to assist users with visual impairment.
Contact the library team
- Email us: Library@rcot.co.uk
- Call us: 020 7450 2316 / 2320 / 2303 / 2343
Databases available to search at the RCOT library
Visitors to the library can access the main health databases including:
Platform: EBSCOHOST Databases available:
- CINAHL (Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature): Providing references to journal articles from the fields of nursing and allied health
- MEDLINE - bibliographic database of the National Library of Medline (NLM) covering the fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, and the preclinical sciences.
Platform: OVID Databases available:
- AMED (Allied and Complementary Medicine): produced by the Health Care Information Service of the British Library. Includes references to articles from the fields of complementary medicine, palliative care, and several of the professions allied to medicine
- PsycINFO - provides access to references from international articles relating to psychology and related disciplines
- HMIC (Health Management Information Consortium) is a compilation of data from two sources, the Department of Health's Library and Information Services and King's Fund Information and Library Service. Use this database to search for publications, journal articles and grey literature about health and social care, health service policy, management and administration
- Social Policy and Practice provides references to articles and grey literature in: public & social policy, public health, social care, mental and community health, homelessness, housing, equalities, law and order, children and families, older people.
- OTDBASE - Canadian-based and developed occupational therapy journal literature search service providing references to national and international occupational therapy journals
- OT Search - Catalogue and database of the American Occupational Therapy Association
- Cochrane Library: a suite of six databases providing access to independent evidence to inform healthcare decision-making. A seventh database provides information about the Cochrane groups
- OTSeeker - Australian resource that provides references and abstracts to systematic reviews and randomised controlled trials relevant to occupational therapy and evidence-based practice.