The College produces the professional curriculum guidance and education standards for the study of occupational therapy leading to a professional qualification in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The College also endorses a range of formal and informal learning opportunities for members at every stage of their career.
What we offer
Pre-registration course accreditation
The Royal College of Occupational Therapists ensures the quality of UK pre-registration education.
The Royal College of Occupational Therapists has developed, and regularly updates, pre-registration learning and development standards that serve as dynamic quality indicators against which the College can judge an individual programme's suitability for professional body accreditation.
College standards cover five main areas:
- Programme management and resources standards;
- Programme curriculum standards;
- Learning, teaching and assessments standards;
- Quality assurance and monitoring standards;
- Practice placements
The following Education Policy Briefings further supports the College's Learning and Development standards on specific issues related to pre-registration education.
- Equalities Act 2010: Responsibilities of the Practice Placement Provider
- Foundation Degrees
- Interprofessional Education
- Work-Based Learning
- Accreditation of Prior (E)Learning
- RCOT Position Statement on Education remit for Occupational Therapy
Preparing graduates for international practice
Due to the requirements of its membership with the World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT) and its position within the European Network of Occupational Therapy in Higher Education (ENOTHE), the standards make reference to the minimum standards of these organisations in addition to the UK national needs.
The standards therefore ensure that RCOT accredited programmes prepare graduates for international contemporary practice in the health, social care and other settings where occupational therapy values, beliefs and philosophy could be applied.
Annual Quality Monitoring
The College monitors the quality of accredited programmes between accreditation and review events
The College has an annual monitoring process whereby professional programme directors are asked to provide an annual review of their accredited programme. These reports are scrutinised by the members of the College's accreditation panel who draw attention to areas of good practice as well as any issues arising locally or nationally.
The College produces an annual qualitative and quantitative monitoring report based on the programme directors annual reports that covers national student profiles, programme management and resources, quality assurance and enhancement. The report enables universities to compare their annual review against the national trends.
- Annual Monitoring of accredited pre-registration occupational therapy education programmes for the academic year 2014/2015
- Annual Monitoring of accredited pre-registration occupational therapy education programmes for the academic year 2013/2014
- Annual Monitoring of accredited pre-registration occupational therapy education programmes for the academic year 2012/2013
- Annual monitoring of accredited pre-registration occupational therapy education programmes for the academic year 2011/2012
- Annual monitoring of accredited pre-registration occupational therapy education programmes for the academic year 2010/2011
- Annual monitoring of accredited pre-registration occupational therapy education programmes for the academic year 2009/2010
The endorsement process
Endorsement enables providers of relevant training and continuing education to gain a mark of quality and recognition from the College in order to promote their course(s) to an audience of occupational therapists and related personnel.
RCOT members recognise the standards these learning opportunities have met in order to become endorsed by the College.
The benefits of having your learning opportunity endorsed by the College are as follows:
- Quality assurance of your courses - having your course(s) endorsed will indicate to members that the College's quality and standards criteria have been met
- Add value to your portfolio
- Market differentiation - your course(s) endorsed by the professional body for Occupational Therapists
- Inclusion on the Interactive Learning Opportunities Database (ILOD) - your course(s) and company information at the fingertips of our members
- All endorsed courses receive the RCOT logo to use on all course related material
Endorsed courses may also help members meet their CPD needs.